A Baseball Crisis Resolved

photo by Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post

photo by Charles Wenzelberg/New York Post

It’s been hard for this bishop to be against angels, but fortunately that crisis of conscience has passed with the Yankees 5-2 victory last night over the Los Angeles Angels, giving them their 40th American League pennant and sending the Bronx Bombers back to the World Series.

Rooting for the Yankees has been a very natural thing for me, as I have been a Yankee fan since 1961 when, as an 11 year old in Saint Louis, I closely followed the Maris/Mantle home run race.  (Of course, being a Cardinal’s fan is a part of my D.N.A.)

With the Angels out of the way, and my beloved Redbirds having been sent home in the first round, there will be no dilemmas when it comes to cheering unreservedly for the Yankees in the Fall Classic.

However, I will feel bad for my friend and mentor, Cardinal Rigali of Philadelphia, when the Yankees beat his Phillies.

And for Mets fans, please remember that October 28, the first day of the World Series, is also the Feast of Saint Jude, the Patron Saint of Impossible Cases.

Tags: , , ,

25 Responses to “A Baseball Crisis Resolved”

1. ron shapley says:

Welcome to the blogosphere Excellency… I am so happy you are here and will read you religiously.. We New Yorkers are so blessed to have you as our shepherd.. We love you.

2. Dennis Poust says:

We’re thrilled to have you on our team! Too bad about your Cards, but I’m glad you have someone to root for. We’re excited that both you and CC came from Milwaukee this year!

3. Steve Pappas says:

Your Eminence, Pope Benedict has appointed on 24 October 2009 Cardinal Peter Turkson as president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, replacing Renato Martino, who had reached the retirement age. This is a ‘cabinet’ level appointment for the African bishop. It puts him on the papabili short list for the next conclave. Steve Pappas New York City

4. Fr. Karl A. Lindblad says:

Archbishop, You might want to wish a friendly wager with Cardinal Rigali; most mayors of the ball team towns do the same thing. He can bet a Hogie Sandwich to our New York Steak or some such thing. It would be a good selling point for the people. Best wishes from your Priests in the Military. v/r KAL

5. Janet Stelken says:

Too funny!!! Love your commentary.

6. John McLoughlin says:

Oh! The dagger to the heart of Mets fans! – and from my archbishop!

7. PMcGrathStPt says:

Your Excellency: Would it be possible for the Webmaster of ArchNY.org to arrange your blog, and the other blogs on this Web site, in a more conventional blog format? One example, of the many thousands possible, is the American Papist, which, as Your Excellency can see, has taken notice of your new blog, as have other key bloggers in Catholic blogdom. Also, a standard blog format would allow Your Excellency’s fan base to subscribe to your posts via RSS – fairly standard in blogdom at this point. I am, Your Excellency’s ob’td servant …

8. Marcelo says:

I was divided also, I’m a mets fan. I take as a blessing your reminder of St. Jude. Thanks

9. Bob Broyles says:

As long as you don’t root for the Mets, we can still be friends. And speaking of impossible causes the Rams need all the St. Jude there is. And remember please my wife and sister-in-law on the feast of their namesake. The Best Always Bob

10. Linda and Richard Sienkiewicz says:

Dear Fr. Tim, Well said – my sentiments exactly! I’ve been a Yankees fan since 1951. When I got married 48 years ago I not only had to give up my name but my beloved baseball team as well (yes, Dick is a big Cubs fan!:) I thought that Cardinal Rigali was a Cardinals fan also? At least that’s how Dick remembers it. I hope you are doing well. We are in Chicago visiting our daughter Denise. God Bless and I hope to hear from you soon. Love, Lynn

11. Msgr. Jim Petersen says:

I’m a Calif. native and a Yankee fan. Now I’m a Dolan fan. Go team!

12. Irene Baldwin says:

Try being a Philly girl living in the Bronx and married to a hard-core Yankee fan. I think I’ll just have to leave the apartment while the games are on. (And if you’re going to bet, go for some Philly Tastykakes or Cheesesteaks)

13. Steve Pappas says:

Pope Benedict has appointed on 24 October 2009 Cardinal Peter Turkson as president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, replacing Renato Martino, who had reached the retirement age.This is a ‘cabinet’ level appointment for the African bishop. It puts him on the papabili short list for the next conclave.Steve PappasNew York City

14. Deacon Scott says:

I’m just glad you were able to avoid a Cards vs. Yanks series!Dcn Scott

15. Linda and Richard Sienkiewicz says:

16. Bret Holmes says:

Dear Archbishop, I will show the boys your column here. They will ALL be thrilled with your comments. Thanks for the reminder about St. Jude!

17. Jim Garrity says:

As a direct descendant of a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and as one who was born in Brooklyn myself, rooting for the Yankees isn’t an option for me. Too bad my Mets are in such terrible shape! I can’t root for *any* team from Philadelphia though, so what to do!? :-) Jim

18. Ray D says:

Your Excellency, Would’ve thought an Archbishop would know that the angels who went to LA are fallen angels.

19. Katy McGowan says:

My mother is right now watching the Mass from St. Patrick’s. My wonderful mother is 86 and it brings her so much comfort. Thank you so much.

20. Jeremiah O'Toole says:

My dad, Jim O’Toole, an Irish Catholic from the South side of Chicago and father of 11 children, pitched game 1 of the 1961 World Series, and lost 2-0 to Whitey Ford. Whitey went on to break Babe Ruth’s record for most consecutive scoreless innings pitched in World Series play. Too bad it was against my dad. If you’re ever in Cincinnati, we’d love to take you to a Reds game and over to my parents for dinner. Thanks for defending the faith and saying yes to God’s call to the priesthood. We need good strong leaders at this time in our Church. We’ll continue to pray for you. God bless+

21. Rev. Thomas C. Machalski says:

Your Grace, Your line about the Mets and the first game of the World Series falling on the feast of St. Jude, Patron of Impossible Cases was like pouring salt into an open wound of this die-hard, life-long Mets fan. I am a priest of the Diocese of Brooklyn who along with Bishop Catanello often offer Mass at CitiField for the players and workers when home games occur of Sunday afternoons. You are my Metropolitan and I admire you greatly(even though you root for that other NY team). Oremus pro invicem! Come join me at a Mets Game this summer- Maybe vs. St. Louis or Milwaukee? Fr. Tom Machalski

22. Art Irving says:

Your Excellency: As a devout priest and devoted Cardinal’s fan, perhaps you’re aware that there are plaques recognizing the accomplishments two “Cardinals”, among the plaques that recognize the all-time Yankee greats. “Who are these two Cardinals?”, you ask. They’re Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul II, honored with plaques in remembrance of the masses they celebrated at Yankee Stadium, during their visits to New York.

23. Tom Leeman says:

Your Grace, as an Angels fan (and an American League fan) I wish the Yankees all the best but it sure pains me to write that! Also, thank you for the Catholic Channel on Sirius XM. I enjoy all the shows, especially yours!

24. Pedro Armando says:

Your Excellency, congratulation is wonderful to take the fresh air of your comments by reading your articles on the WEB. Greetings from Dominican Republic. Armando.

25. Appreciate it, was looking for something along the lines of this for a while. Where’s the subscribe button? Ha :)