A New Archbishop for Milwaukee

Today our Holy Father appointed Bishop Jerome Listecki of the Diocese of LaCrosse as the new Archbishop of Milwaukee.  Here is the statement I released:

For the last nine months, since my appointment as Archbishop of New York, I have daily asked our Lord to send a happy, holy, humble new archbishop to the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.  Today my prayer is simply: “thank you, Lord!”  Pope Benedict XVI has chosen wisely.  Bishop Jerome Listecki is a good friend, and a most effective, generous, faithful, joyful shepherd.  I feel bad for the Diocese of La Crosse, but rejoice with my beloved people of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee!  Sorry, Gerry, that I did not leave the archdiocese in better shape, but I was counting on being there a lot longer!  You’ve got some of the greatest clergy, sisters, and people in the Church … and now they’ve got one of the best archbishops anywhere!  (P.S. In the confidential file in the safe is the list of my favorite fish fries).

+ Timothy M. Dolan

Archbishop of New York

Tags:

10 Responses to “A New Archbishop for Milwaukee”

1. PMcGrath says:

Congratulations, Your Excellency, on setting up the blog format and the RSS feed!

2. anne bender says:

Archbishop, you are too funny! How can I get into that confidential file and support your favorite places for fish fries? :)

I join you in prayer- “Thank you Lord for Bishop Listecki!” But, I disagree with you, I think you left the Archdiocese in great shape. You did a fabulous job here, as you are doing in New York. God Bless you always!

3. Andrew Guidroz II says:

Your Excellency:

Thank you for the wonderful blog updates. Your use of new technology in order to embrace and catechize the faithful is greatly appreciated.

The update to your blog site that supports RSS feeds is also very welcome. It makes it a lot easier for those of us who read lots of blogs to stay up to date. My thanks to your web staff.

Take care.

4. Deanna Scholz says:

Archbishop Dolan you did a great job here in Milwaukee. As I told you once before, you sent priests to heal our parish. Now I know God sent you to heal our Archdioceses.
    We all miss you and wish you well in New York. Thank you for everything you did here and for standing up for American Catholics everywhere.
    You have left us in capable hands with Bishop Listecki.

God Bless,
    Deanna Scholz

5. Lyn Malone says:

Responding to “A New Archbishop For Milwaukee”

Dear Archbishop Dolan,

I have been reeling from a catastrophe in my life. Coming up for air I read your piece. What joy! The words happy, holy & humble with a hidden fish fry list (no less) all in one burst of sunlight pierced my heart with healing rays. With folded hands, thank you.

Lyn

P.S. I’m not even Catholic (yet)

6. Kevin from Delafield says:

Your Excellency, please continue to pray for us here in the Milwaukee archdiocese. Bishop Listecki’s appointment as our new archbishop is being greeted with both joy … and skepticism. I refer Your Excellency to the forum of readers’ views of the appointment published on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Web site. That such an important announcement should inflame opinion is regrettable, but we must understand our differences, I know, in order to come together finally as one people. With gratitude to all the past ordinaries of the Milwaukee archdiocese, especially Your Excellency, and with confidence in our new bishop, his clergy, religious, and all the faithful, Kevin

7. Steve Pappas says:

Your Excellency,
    Exciting news as well from the Vatican. Wire services say Benedict XVI will meet with Kiril, the Patriarch of Moscow. As the announcement became public, there was a huge fire and series of explosions at a Russian armaments depot in Ulyanovsk (pop. 635,000). That’s where Lenin was born. The town is named for him: Ulyanov was his birth name.

Steve Pappas

8. gus says:

Your Excellency. We miss you, but Godspeed, you have a higher calling.
    On your going away party, I was thrilled when you interrupted your chat with Police Chief Flynn to take your picture with my family. I’m sure you recall signing the ST LOUIS CARDINALS CAP for me!!! And the DOLAN 1 MILWAUKEE BREWERS JERSEY.
    God bless you Archbishop Timothy M. Dolan, I will one day take you up on your open invitation to visit in New York.

9. Shawn McGee says:

Your Excellency,

I can’t begin to tell you how much you brought to the religious community here in Milwaukee. As for myself, you helped reinvigorate a lapsed Catholic who saw his church being co-opted by the liberal agenda rather than His agenda. It is that reason I believe Pope Benedict XVI chose you for the mission in NYC. It is a relief that a leader has been chosen who will properly carry on with His work.

I pray to our Heavenly Father that the strength needed is bestowed upon you both for the rough tasks that are before you.

Gods Blessings,
    Shawn

10. Excellency,
    I heard your homily about bishop fulton Sheen on KVSS from Omaha, NE. Now, I can thank you! I hear Bishop Fulton sheen every weekday at 5 am. You are in my prayers!