I’m a New Yorker

Let me share with you a very special message to my fellow New Yorkers.

Here is an excerpt:

I’ve become a New Yorker.

And I like to brag about the beauty and the virtue and the goodness that I see in the New York community.

I bristle and cringe when people who aren’t New Yorkers caricature New Yorkers as cold and unfriendly and rude and almost atheistic and pagan.

I’m saying, wait a minute.

I’ve been honored to be a citizen of New York for three years and I find New York to be one of the most loving, welcoming and embracing communities around!

New Yorkers welcome people.

They welcomed me.

So the church cooperates with that in welcoming the immigrant, for example.

New Yorkers pitch in and help people in trouble.

Look what happened after 9/11.

So the church builds upon that with helping people who are out of jobs, helping people who are sick, helping people who are hungry, and having trouble paying their bills.

You can read the whole message here.

6 Responses to “I’m a New Yorker”

1. Mary says:

Cardinal Dolan, you speak lovingly of caring for immigrants. In my neighborhood we have Mexican mothers pushing baby carriages with small children , little brothers and sisters walking behind, holding hands or kibitzing as kids do — it is clear these Mexican women are living what those of us better off have to remember…that there is simple joy in living the Gospel of Life. Poverty does not make you poor.

Now that the HHS mandate has swung a sledgehammer at the Gospel of Life, we see how easy it is for Caesar to go after our religious liberty. Will the mandates to come, target the those immigrant families that are living the Gospel of Life? Of course. One of the signs at this year’s March for Life comes to mind. Ironically this could very well be the next HHS mandate: Life Begins at Conception and Ends at Planned Parenthood.

Cardinal Dolan, there is no way out of Obamacare except the voting booth. Many Catholics, including priests and bishops, who voted for Obama are saddened now by his failure. But many are still uniformed. Everything will be decided in the next election. In the voting booth. By Catholics. We cannot allow Catholics to vote for Caesar again now that we know the he is places himself above God’s law. Please help us to pray and get informed for November.

2. Margaret Pagan says:

Bless you. I am a Roman Catholic New Yorker and I am so happy for you! Your blog is wonderful! Thank you for the JOY you share! I would love to help you spread the Joy of Christ in NY!

3. Frank Tomi says:

I sent this to Cuomo, Bloomberg, and others. Open letter to Cardinal Dolan http://blog.archny.org/?p=2276#comments. But just like the Catholic Church 1930′s, you took my comments down. That’s why 6 millions Jews dies in the 1930′s because the Catholic leaders cover up the truth about Hitler also. God will judge all of you, on the day of judgement.

But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. Romans 2:5

4. Diane Borst says:

Dear Cardinal Timothy Dolan…

Congratulations on your elevation to Cardinal. We’re neighbors (55th bet 5th and 6th) and welcome you to our neighborhood, although we attend the FAPC and are not Catholic. It is amazing how you have blended in to the NYC scene by being so able to connect to ordinary people like us, as well as to the political and business sector of New York, As you might suspect, we do not agree with all of the positions of the Catholic Church, but we do respect you and your ability to state your opinions clearly and precisely. As we might say, “Welcome to the ‘hood.” It’s a pleasure to have such a Cardinal like you here in NYC. Diane Borst Manning and Norman E. Berg (and yes, we are married).

5. AndyP/Doria2 says:

I don’t know, maybe I was getting my hopes up when you spoke of the red hat and the shedding of blood. I thought of some hope and change type thing here in New York.

I don’t even know if you even see these posts but I must report on how ill I felt when upon seeing you parade up into our beloved Cathedral which is the seat (cathedra) of the Archdiocese, I saw you laughing and greeting Gov. Cuomo, Sen. Schumer, and Mayor Bloomberg who as usual had front row seats, and a perfect photo op to place in there ads while they totally desecrate the pews with there very presence, not to mention the actual Real Presence which must have bled profusely in the presence of these demonic representatives of what used to be a great state and now is the abortion capitol of the western world.

I can’t help but feel for the true Catholics, the Priests, the beautiful nuns in full habit relegated to the cheap seats while these wolves were treated as honored guests.

The whole scene kinda reminds me of the vipers our Lord spoke of when he described those who loved to wear tassles and be seen and greeted in the public square, and had fine seats at the heads of tables. I believe He called them whitewashed tombs.

Frank Tomi is (above) right. Judgement wil be swift. I pray for the conversion of our leaders. I pray also for the ill feeling I keep experiencing watching our beloved Church in the West crumble.

Can’t we at least reverse these seating arrangements in the future?

How can anyone in their right minds take our leaders seriously when we see these things.

6. Syte Reitz says:

I’m a New Yorker, too!
    Despite the fact that I’ve been living in Madison, WI for the past 25 years.
    Still, born and raised a New Yorker, and in your previous Milwaukee Archdiocese.

As a fellow New Yorker, I want to share some Catholic humor on the recent NY Times ad that FFRF published.

I thought the best counter to my fellow Madisonians, the FFRF, was a parody: