More from the Times

I know, I should drop it.  “You just have to get used to it,” so many of you have counselled me.  “It’s been that way forever, and it’s so ingrained they don’t even know they’re doing it.  So, let it go.”

I’m talking about the common, casual way The New York Times offends Catholic sensitivity, something they would never think of doing — rightly so — to the Jewish, Black, Islamic, or gay communities.

Two simple yet telling examples from one edition, last Friday, October 15.

First there’s the insulting photograph of the nun on page C20, this for yet another tiresome production making fun of Catholic consecrated women.  This “gleeful” tale is described as “fresh and funny” in the caption beneath the quarter-page photo (not an advertisement).  Granted, prurient curiosity about the lives of Catholic sisters has been part of the nativist, “know-nothing” agenda since mobs burned the Ursuline convent in Boston in the 1840’s, and since the huckster Rebecca Reed’s Awful Disclosures made the rounds in the 19th century.  But still now cheap laughs at the expense of a bigoted view of the most noble women around?

Maybe I’m especially sensitive since I  just came from the excellent exhibit on the contributions of Catholic nuns now out on Ellis Island.  These are the women who tended to the homeless immigrants and refugees, who died nursing the abandoned in the cholera epidemic, who ran hospitals and universities decades before women did so in the non-Catholic sphere, who marched in Selma and today teach our poorest in our inner-city schools. These are the nuns mocked and held-up for snickering in our city’s newspaper.

Now turn to C29.  This glowingly reviewed not-to-be missed “art” exhibit comes to us from Harvard, and is a display of posters from ACT UP.  Remember them?  They invaded St. Patrick’s Cathedral to disrupt prayer, trampled on the Holy Eucharist, insulted Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger when he was here for a conference, and yelled four letter words while exposing themselves to families and children leaving Mass at the Cathedral.  The man they most detested was Cardinal John O’Connor, who, by the way, spent many evenings caring quietly for AIDS patients, and, when everyone else ran from them, opened units for them at the Terence Cardinal Cooke Health Care Center and St. Clare’s Hospital.  Too bad for him.  One of the posters in this “must see” exhibit is of Cardinal O’Connor, in the form of a condom, referred to as a “scumbag,” the “art” there in full view in the photograph above the gushing review in our city’s daily.

Thanks for your patience with me.  I guess I’m still new enough here in New York City that the insults of The New York Times against the Church still bother me.  I know I should get over it.  As we say in Missouri, it’s like “spitting into a tornado.”

Tags:

121 Responses to “More from the Times”

1. Do not stop preaching and never give up, for far to long we all remained quite and look where we are today. Keep bringing this vicious slime to our attention.

God Bless!

2. Louis E. says:

I’m a little disturbed that you say it is right never to offend a \gay community\.The needs of persons afflicted by same-sex attraction include constant advice to disassociate themselves from any attempt to establish or maintain a \gay community\,whose purpose is to reinforce its members’ tendencies toward and pride in misbehavior.

3. Mary says:

Archbishop Dolan, I share your outrage at the so-called art exhibit. And the NY Slimes’ gushing report.

That art exhibit and the Times story barely touch the surface of the wickedness around us today. Attacking the Catholic Church is a key part of the homosexual agenda; I doubt it will ever stop because the Church sticks with the truth and will not change its teaching on homosexuality or homosexual marriage.

For the larger society, there is peril as well. President Obama’s current Safe Schools Czar, homosexual activist and ACT UP supporter, Kevin Jennings, was given credit for helping put together the exhibit when it was first shown at the Carpenter Center at Harvard back in Oct. – Dec. 2009.

MassResistance has an excellent backgrounder on ActUP that includes a video interview with its founder Larry Kramer and the “Stop The Church” action at St. Patrick’s. I doubt many younger Catholics today know anything about the invasion.

Please take a look at it — it is informative history for today’s audience and perhaps will educate as to what is going on at the Times, what this homosexual assault is about, and assist in staying informed lest we fall prey to the propoganda of one side.

4. Oneida Musa says:

Dear Father:
    The “art” is bad enough, but really, it represents how many people feel about the Church in this day and age. I had the pleasure of meeting Cardinal O’Conner on several occasions and he was always so gracious! I don’t think that you or anyone else should “get over it.” I guess we can comfort ourselves in the knowledge that we are attacked because God is with us, and Satan likes to have us beaten up all the time. Satan fears us so…and he will do all in his power to upset us. Please, Father, don’t stop writing about this issue. Remember that the Holocaust did not happen overnight…it happened after many seemingly minor insults and injustices went un-challenged. Please pray for me and I will pray for you!!

5. Matthew Hood says:

Your Excellency,

Don’t ever “drop it.” As a seminarian studying for the priesthood, it gives me great joy to see an Archbishop, one of the shepherds given to us by Christ to guide our holy Church, sticking up for the Church that I am giving myself to.

Thank you!

God bless!

6. Noreen FitzGerald says:

Oh Archbishop Dolan I am afraid the Irish media and many Catholics here are trashing the Church too. We so need this upcoming visitation. I do not want to be disrespectful towards our Bishops but Archbishop we are shepherdless sheep. As one person put it with shepherds like these wolves are superfluous! Please pray for Ireland and that this visitation throws light on the darkness. May God bless you and keep you safe and keep “spitting into that tornado.” :-)
    The Love of Our Lord Jesus Christ be with you
    Is Mise
    Noreen FitzGerald

7. I wish you wouldn’t drop it. Who else is calling it for what it is? It’s hate speech, poorly disguised.

We’ve reached a point in the culture of what some call political correctness. Sure, in some cases it might go too far, but well within my lifetime it was not considered as much as insensitive much less hate speech to use awful language about race, creed, gender, intelligence, nationality, and so much more.

Please have the perseverance to call out those who are at best disrespectful and, at worst, so very much worse than that.

8. Andrew Piacente says:

It bothers you because deep down inside you are a soldier for Christ. A shepherd of a flock. A protector of sheep. Don’t ever downplay that instinct. We in NY haven’t had that since Archbishop Fulton Sheen.

The NY Times, a paper I wouldn’t use to line the bottom of a bird cage, would pick on Nuns? True heros of our Chutch. They should be fought tooth and nail. There are hundreds of thousands of us out here who will stand with you in this battle Bishop. Lead us!

9. Marianne Tremblay says:

I think you are being too sensitive. When I saw the picture you gave a link to I thought of the movie Nuns on the Run and the comics who have in their own way payed tribute to the nuns so many of the baby boomers grew up with…tough love nuns. Like in the Blues Brothers. It’s a compliment.

10. James Netusil says:

I think everyone needs to write to the Times and order them to cease and desist. This is disgusting. As a seminarian (at Kenrick, your excellency!) I can assure you that this is a symptom that extends far beyond NY. We are in a time of persecution – we better get ready because it’s going to get worse.

11. NYer says:

I sympathize with you Archbishop! As a native New Yorker, I should have a thicker skin too…but it is painful to see something that is so beautiful…that you love so much being treated with such ignorance and bigotry.
    But truth always prevails. In the UK the critics were so unreasonable that the faithful turned out in droves to support the Holy Father and to express their faith with joy.
    You are doing a great job! Thank you!

12. Greetings from California. I subscribe to the Times mainly to keep track of what the enemy is saying. I thank you for bringing your fresh voice to the New York scene and addressing what is clear to any sensitive person who reads the Times. Keep it up.

BTW, we met in Quebec City when the Oakland and Milwaukee groups were using the same dining room one morning during the Eucharistic Congress. I like my Bishop a lot, but I would work for you anytime.

13. No, Your Excellency, it’s not something you should get used to. I’m glad it bothers you and that you say something about it, otherwise we shall not have the voice needed to prick consciences into understanding that it is wrong and we shall then have an ingrained scandal.

I will never forget being in New York for Pope John Paul II’s visit in 1995 to help my friend, Bob Moynihan, of Inside the Vatican. I flew into Boston to see my parents and my Dad took me to a train station in New Haven. I got into Grand Central and waited until others got off ahead of me. One lady looked at me and asked, “Where are you from?” When I answered, “Minnesota,” she said, “I didn’t think you were from around here. New Yorkers don’t wait for others.”

In other words, it sometimes takes an outsider to bring to light things the natives take for granted — things they shouldn’t.

14. Paul Jackson says:

We need to hear this from the leaders in the Church. The more you rant the more the faithful will have their consciences primed. Don’t apologise for leading your flock.
    We must take offence at these derogatory exhibits and shows, and also be disgusted by the one sided reporting.

15. John says:

Bravo to Archbishop Dolan! Keep things in this perspective, Your Excellency: the New World Order chooses to work differently nowadays than it did during its Third Reich and USSR periods. Now it is no longer “democratic” governments who are persecuting and punishing Christians directly, but their NGO mouthpieces and propaganda rags. Direct or indirect, same result.

May you always be bothered by evil.

16. Dear Bishop:

I tweeted your excellent article re. New York Times this morning. We support your excellency 100 percent.

Gerard J.Mc Grade,PDC
    Catholic Action Chairman
    Catholic War Veterans of the USA

17. Nadine M. Chiffriller says:

No, I don’t believe we should ever get over it or get used to it. Yes this bigotry towards the Catholic Church is very prevalent in our liberal society, however, Catholics all over New York should be outraged by this protrayal in the NY Times and should loudly protest, as out Jewish and Islamic brothers rightly would do. The problem is that Catholics tend to sit back and accept the bad publicity directed against us. Maybe if we should up as a large body of people in protest against anticatholisim in our newspapers, they’d be more willing to portray us in a better light.

18. Judith Murray says:

Horray for Archbishop Dolan. He is saying what many are thinking. We need someone who can speak out and do it far better than the average lay person. He shouldn’t “get over it”. We need someone to defend the good work of the Catholic community!

19. Kathy Ulrich says:

God Bless You, Archbishop Dolan!

It seems the devil is afoot as never before. These attacks are a reminder of that fact.

I linked to your post through Spirit Daily. From that same cite I also linked to a video of a muslim dancing on the altar of a cathedral in Rome. Had this taken place in a mosque, the outrage would have been heard worldwide. Christ taught us to “turn the other cheek”, but he also admonished us to seek the truth in all things. Your post is a splendid example of both.

It is good that you “spit into a tornado” for the sake of those maligned, both living and deceased. “It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.”

20. Bob K says:

Archbishop Dolan way to go!! I agree with you completely and glad you are speaking up for this and please do not ever ignore the insults to the Church. I am from Syracuse, NY and glad to see you there in the NYC area on the front lines.

21. William Fallon says:

\What would Jesus do?\ The Gospel message clearly urges us to admonish and correct the \sinner\ but in a spirit of charity. Paul echoes the Master’s voice. Evil has existed since the fall of the disobedient angels. The Church historically repeats the message even though her voice may get lost in the din created by the world. Can falsehoods or uncharitable utterances stand without correction? Christ is Truth. To preach the Truth is to preach Christ. Regardless who the offender is: a person or an organization, the Truth must be preserved if only to remind us what is real. Archbishop, your ordination to the episcopacy brings you the power of the Holy Spirit and the responsibility to exercise that power prudently. I urge you to be the clear voice of Truth so that the souls entrusted to you remain committed to the Faith when the world tries to chip away at it. I delight that there are bishops who stand their ground defending Catholicism despite abuse by the media. They are the beacons of Hope!!!!

22. linda adams says:

Archbishop Dolan,
    Continue to speak and defend the Catholic faith because when you do so ,you console the very heart of Jesus. Never tire of consoling Him and never give up . Do not give in to the idea that it’s always been that way. The very Body of Christ, His Church, is suffering and any words you can say to defend the truth bring consolation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and to all faithful Catholics. We are a light to the world and we need your leadership. The world needs to witness the light of Christ. You do not need to explain to those who have accepted the way things are. What would St. Paul say if he were alive today?

God bless,
    Linda

23. Judith Pazmino says:

Dear Archbishop Dolan,

You had better not ever “get over it”. We need couragepous leaders in the Roman Catholic Church, not people who are too weak, too frightened to stand up for Christ and what He has taught us. We need saints Archbishop.

Judith Pazmino

24. Greg Maier says:

THANK YOU Archbishop Dolan!! It is so refreshing and encouraging to see your responce to the continued insults of the NYT aimed squarly at Catholics, the only religious or ethnic group considered fair game for such attacks. Never Weaken!! Unless powerful and respected leaders of the Chruch, like you, speak out, the public (and even some weaker Catholics) may come to mistake the NYT’s insults for the truth. You are in my prayers.

25. Colette Dempsey says:

Dear Archbishop Dolan,

Thank you for your perseverance in defending the Church! May you never tire! We need our shepherd to lead for we are lost and know not what we do. Yours in Christ.ti

26. Jeanette says:

Please, Archbishop! Continue ‘not getting over it!’ God bless your loving and outraged heart!
    Jeanette Salerno

27. Colette Dempsey says:

Dear Archbishop Dolan,

Thank you for your perseverance in defending the Church! May you never tire! We need our shepherd to lead for we are lost and know not what we do. Yours in Christ, Colette Dempsey

28. Jeanette says:

Please, Archbishop Dolan! Continue ‘not getting over it!’ God bless your loving and outraged heart!
    Jeanette Salerno

29. kate says:

One thing I will never do again is subscribe to Time. I used to a long time ago until i saw the way they do business.

30. Mike Jarman says:

Excellency, I pray that you never “get over it.” As the Times relentless assault on reason (typified in its bizarre reporting on my alma mater, Duke, and its students in 2006) demonstrates, it has become to the Left what Glen Beck and Fox News is to the Right. No fact can be allowed to get in the way of the narrative du jour.

The Universal Church gave the world the university system, human rights, and many other great goods that have been perverted by the dominant political discourse of the age. If our bishops don’t have the courage to continue to speak out forcefully against these distortions of truth, then how can the laity do its job?

31. Philip Saenz says:

Archbishop Dolan is doing the right thing. Good Catholic must fight back. Jesus Christ did it, so we must emulate Him as much as possible.

However, it’s hard to shame bigots because they’re so ingrained with hatred. Maybe some day they’ll become Christlike. Maybe.

32. Carolyn says:

Dear Archbishop Dolan, please keep up the good work you are doing. You have an elegant way of putting your point across. We NEED more people like you to speak up in a loving way about how the Catholic Church is being viewed. Let us show love to each other not ridicule.

33. Paul M Blake says:

Don’t ever get tired of reminding the NYT that their \tolerance\ doesn’t extend to the Catholic faith. I have written to Bill Keller (Executive Editor), a \lapsed\ Catholic, a number of times to remind him of The NYT bigotry that masquerades as news. They have an animus toward the Catholic Church that, at its root, is an animus toward the truth. At some level Keller knows this. Let’s keep this fact right in front of him.

34. Christopher Uhl says:

Your Excellency:

Thank you for not ‘dropping it.’ Sometimes these things need to be said by the chief shepherd. By virtue of your office you speak not only for Catholics like me, but for all orthodox Christians. May God bless you abundantly.

35. Sharon Murphy says:

Thank you for your courage Bishop. It is so frustrating to be the brunt of so much Catholic bashing from the NY Times. I’m glad your out there fighting for us…..NEVER GIVE UP!

36. Diane says:

Keep going Archbishop….we support you and will keep up the good fight!

37. Sister Marie Kolbe Zamora says:

Ad multos annos, Archbishop Dolan, ad multos annos. Grazie, grazie di cuore.

38. Thanks Archbishop. The Church needs leadership that speaks truth in season and out of season. Don’t ever drop it. They become more emboldened if you do, and Christ’s story deminished.

39. Jane Thompson says:

Dear Archbishop Dolan:

YEAH!! WE NEED YOU!!!!!! We NEED you desperately!!!! May the Holy Spirit continue
    to fill you with courage, strength and perseverance.

Thank you and God Bless you, ALWAYS!!

40. Domingo Litong says:

You are a true Shepherd, Archbishop! We praise and thank the LORD for giving us someone like you! You are in our prayers. Be the beacon in the gathering darkness, which shall never overcome the Light! Stand fast to what is True!

41. Mary Ann says:

Dear Archbishop,

Keep it up! As we say here in Rochester, NY: “When Archbishop Dolan speaks, we listen!!”

42. Colin Hayes says:

My Lord Archbishop. I commend you in your tireless response to the media insults directed in particular to our Catholic Church, the Spouse of the Immaculate Lamb.
    Never stop responding to these media articles which are the work of the enemy who is a liar and a deceiver and was from the beginning after he was cast out.

God Bless you always Archbishop Dolan.

Yours in Christ Jesus, King of the Universe and Mary our Queen, forever.

Colin Hayes

43. Lorna says:

Dear Archbishop,

I applaud you for defending the members of our faith. We need to pray, pray, pray for these people who insult us and worse, deeply offend God. The bottom line is this: if they carry on in their vicious attacks without being gently reprimanded their eternal souls will suffer. We are all members of the Body of Christ and we all have an obligation towards each other.

44. Erika Marie says:

Thank you for speaking for all of us, Archbishop Dolan! The young people need to hear the truth spoken with courage!

45. Laurie says:

Being a good Catholic does not require the docility of a doormat, allowing oneself to be constantly beaten down. Bravo, Bishop Dolan!
    How about calling for a boycott ? Hit them where it hurts, in the pocketbook. Catholic power! It is about time we realized we have it!

46. bt says:

And newspaper circulation continues to drop and the editors keep scratching their heads. By producing a publication that ultimately will not appeal to families, they are committing journalistic suicide.

47. Joan Collins says:

Would that there were 100s more of you! God be with you.

48. PJ says:

After reading all of the comments, it suddenly struck me. How many say, Good for you, keep going, keep defending our faith, hooray for you……but how many of us said, “how can we help, what can we do to help…….and there lies the real problem……..us. We Catholics……..are sitting back as if this is just fine and will go away, well it won’t until we all stand together folks, and that means the shepards and the flocks……can we agree on that?

49. NCSue says:

Don’t give in to the pressure to speak out against those who denigrate our Church and glorify those who demean it.

50. Stella Marie Jeffrey says:

Dear Archbishop — once again thank you for laying your life down for us little sheep. Your willingness to point out the obvious and constant public mistreatment of Catholics is much needed. May the Holy Spirit continue to guide you!