Promoting New Evangelization

I’m spending this week at the Vatican for the first-ever meeting of the Pontifical Council for Promoting the New Evangelization.  I’m honored that the Holy Father has appointed me to this new and vital Council, responsible for helping to promote the faith.  The Holy Father met with us on Monday, and our meetings with Archbishop Rino Fisichella, the President of the Council, and cardinals and bishops from around the world have been enlightening and inspiring.  This is an area of tremendous emphasis for the Church, and it is reflected in the enthusiasm and commitment of everyone in these meetings.

Since I was in Rome, I took the opportunity to record my weekly radio program, “A Conversation with the Archbishop” for The Catholic Channel on Sirius XM Radio from the studios of Vatican Radio.  When I was Rector of the North American College in Rome, I used to record brief reflections for Vatican Radio, so it was great to be back.  We recorded this week’s show in the Karol Wojtyla Studios, named for Pope John Paul II, since it was the studio that he used to record 21 Polish-language programs for Vatican Radio while he was the Cardinal-Archbishop of Krakow, Poland.  I was a little let-down when I found out that I wasn’t the first Catholic Channel host to broadcast from the Karol Wojtyla Studio.  Apparently Lino Rulli, The Catholic Guy, beat me to it! Archbishop Fisichella, Sean Patrick Lovett who heads the English desk at Vatican Radio, and Monsignor Paul Tighe, a priest from Dublin who now works at the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, were my guests.   I hope you will listen on Thursday at 1:00 p.m. Eastern time to hear the show on Sirius XM 129.

With Archbishop Fisichella at the taping of the show

Sean Patrick Lovett and me

With Monsignor Paul Tighe

Photos by Joseph Zwilling

You’ll notice a television camera in the picture with Archbishop Fisichella.  The Today Show is broadcasting from the Vatican this Thursday morning, and they’ve asked me to be a part of it.  I’ll be with Matt Lauer and Al Roker from Saint Peter’s Square.  Should be a fun morning, so tune in if you can.

Have a blessed Ascension Thursday.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Promoting New Evangelization”

1. carlos says:

Hello archbishop, its good to hear that the church is moving forward with this idea or goal for new Evangelization. I was inspired to do some web evangelization thanks to the Catholics next door, Gregg and Jennifer thru their promote Catholicism Facebook event that they had a while back. as a result i created a Facebook fan page for my parish in Arvin California. we are a small community and small parish and we are so far behind from what other local parishes have here. So i took initiative and kick the ball rolling. Our Facebook page has been growing very slowly and currently im running it. Of course my parish priest has access as well. but since he is our only priest he does not have much time to spend on it. But with the grace of god im sure this new Facebook page can grow and become and important tool for the new evangelization. So just wanted to say thank you so much for everything you do, thank you for being an inspiration to me and so many others and thank you for giving your life to christ. As we say in spanish, (que la virgencita de guadalupe lo cuide y lo bendiga mucho.) May the blessed mother mary take care of you and bless you.

2. Steve Newark says:

Dear Archbishop Dolan: while in Rome do, please say a warm hello to our Parish Pastor MSGR Cornelius Mac Rae within the past few days transferred to the North American College again from St Catherins of Siena Parish in Norwood Massachusetts.

3. Mary H says:

Dear Archbishop Dolan in Christ,

Hi. My son entered the i-Confess contest. It was a pleasure to be part of such a great project. However, the winners are yet to be announced. Do you know anything about it? Thank you. In Christ, Mary

4. Stephanie says:

I was watching you on the Today show and you said that each Pastor should be concerned with the falling numbers of our Parishes. That is a huge concern at ours, but we know the cause and our Biship and Pastor chose to ignore the problem that has driven families by droves away from our Parish and some from the Catholic Church. I would so wish to be able to get you involved in this situation, you are my last possible hope for our Parish.
    Please contact me at the email address I supplied if you can help. Thank you.

5. Jan Brovan says:

Archbishop Dolan – I very much appreciated your willingness to do the Today Show – couldn’t have picked a better person to represent us at this time. Thank God for your PR charism and masterful gift in effective use of the soundbite. If there were one thing other bishops and priests could glean from you, it would be your 15 second power bish-byte – that is: the embracing, go down humble, coming up triumphant and joyful zinger that leaves them happy and content that they asked such an insightful question. We are taking bets that Matt Laur becomes Catholic in no small measure because God thought it was good to use you. We are sure you gave him a few things to think about. You are going to be in hot demand as THE best tour guide for all the networks. Especially as they do stories on how the Church came roaring back in the near future.
    Your appreciative fans from afar – Jan Brovan

6. AndyP/Doria2 says:

If by talking “new evangelization” you mean discarding Higher, Critical, Literary Criticism type teaching and throwing them on the ash heap of history, it will truly be a God send.

While we are at it maybe we can discard “Q source” theories and Markan Priority teaching as well. All of the above have been blown out of the water by great teachers such as Scott Hahn, Fathers Brian Harrison, Mitch Pacwa and many other good orthodox Catholic scholars.

Aside from our truthful teaching on divorce these false teachings have been most responsible for Catholics leaving our beloved Church.

Teachings of the Early Church Fathers has been most responsible for bringing fallen away Catholics back.

Father Benedict Groeschell can give you much needed advice on how to proceed. He has been fighting this for over 50 years.

7. AndyP/Doria2 says:

What some Popes taught of Catholic Education:

Pius XI

In his encyclical “Christian Education of Youth,” Pius said “It is therefore imperative to make no mistake in the pursuit of the last end with which the whole is intimately and necessarily connected. There can be no true education which is not wholly directed to man’s last end.”

Christian education aims at securing the supreme good that is God, for the souls of those being educated and the maximum well being possible here below for human society. Education is essentially a social and not merely an individual activity. Education is concerned with man as a whole, individually and socially and first of all, education belongs predominantly to the Church.

Pius IX

An education whose sole interest lies in the knowledge of natural things and in the aims of human society and which moreover departs from the truth revealed by God inevitably falls under the yoke of error and falsehood.

Leo XIII

Religion must not be taught to youth only during certain hours but the entire system of education must be permeated with a sense of Christian piety. If this is lacking, if the Holy Spirit does not penetrate and enflame the souls of teacher and pupil, small benefit will be derived from any other effort of education, instead damage will be done.

8. JOHN MACANUDO says:

Granted the church does wonderful charity work. But
    When an associated entity namely Saint Peters Hospital plans to
    Deprive their vested employees of a pension, one that is the employees
    And not the hospitals, I have a problem with that! As with East Orange Medical center, Saint Peters has asked the IRS to give its blessing concerning a “conversion of their
    ERISA pension plan to a so called “church” plan. The management of this hospital should be very careful with this plan because it no longer is the hospitals money when funds become pension plan funds. Any attempt to take these funds from the plan, deny plan participants their accrual, or otherwise circumvent the benefits will be considered “stealing” and we all know that the church does not advocate theft. The cardinal and Archbishop of this greater metropolitan area should be aware of this attempt by Saint Peters Hospital to change their employee pension plan, and immediately and remedy the situation.