Tenderness and Love

It feels great to be back home! I would like to share with you my article on Holy Week and Passover that was recently published in the New York Daily News.

Here is an excerpt:

This upcoming week we will see both brutality and tender love in our churches and synagogues.

Our Jewish neighbors observe Passover, as they reverently recall how the Lord rescued them from brutal slavery in Egypt, and led them, with tender love, to freedom in the Promised Land.

We Christians, during Holy Week, somberly and prayerfully relive the brutal betrayal, torture, passion, Crucifixion and death of Jesus, and then, next Sunday, Easter, will rejoice that God Our Father’s tender love rescues Him from death and raises Him to a glorious new life, a life He wants to share with us.

You can read all of it here.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “Tenderness and Love”

1. Valerie Heisler says:

I heard your short homily from Palm Sunday where you mention the attendance of Joe Biden. I also read an article on that same subject criticizing you for firstly, giving him Holy Communion and secondly ( horrors of horrors) going out to coffee with him. Now I realize that one can’t know everything that went on before Mass, but to the ordinary ‘Joe Catholic’, we know how he has voted and how he has made his stance on Gay Marriage and that he votes for women’s rights, the fact that you gave him Holy Communion seems to be rather scandalous. What are we to make of this? Has he changed his ways? Or, should we just let God take care of this And then, again, perhaps He already has.
    May God bless you, your Eminence.

2. Carl says:

Cardinal Dolan, may I ask a question?

Why should I make an attempt to reform my life according to the law of God, if a man like Joe Biden can receive communion? Why should I make the effort? Perhaps I should just do whatever I like, and not worry about repentance.

Please clarify why he was allowed to receive the Eucharist, despite his public and obstinate support of abortion.

3. Loren T. says:

If I must judge, I shall do so with love. It is love, your Eminence, to correct our brethren for their soul salvation. I will always support you, my Cardinal, but I must stand on the side of truth, which is Jesus Christ.

4. j Graham says:

Your Eminence, I, too, am confused about VP Biden, a public figure receiving Holy Communion on Palm Sunday … can you help me to understand your decision to give him Holy Communion. Thanks.

5. Jennifer Richard says:

So glad that you are home. Cardinal Dolan, you need to meet with the Catholic legislators in Albany regarding Gov Cuomo’s Reproductive Health Act. You personally meeting with them can sway a few votes. Do not rely on Bishop Hubbord meeting with our Gov and do not rely on the Catholic lobby day. The Catholic Conference is viewed as a joke at the Capital and you know they were totally inaffective with gay marriage. Please, Please, you need to get to Albany and meet with the Catholic legislators – seriously. Thank you and I look forward to your reply.

6. Janet Petrucci says:

Your Emminence:
    Could you please explain how you can reconcile your actions of giving the Eucharist to V.P. Biden with Canon 915, particularly in view of the comments of Cardinal Burke and our present Pope Francis? (comments he made when he was still Archbishop in Argentina)

7. J. Wiske says:

Just a comment on something else, not this blog post but this in particular…

“But we also know that God has told us that the way to happiness, that – especially when it comes to sexual love – that is intended only for a man and woman in marriage, where children can come about naturally.”

I’m glad that I can now stop recognizing the marriages of people like my past-her-childbearing-years friend and her new husband and those friends and relatives who either are infertile by choice (through vasectomies) or not (unable to conceive naturally).

I always thought they all were trying too hard PRETENDING to be happy, and personally, I think they’re coming off as smug as some of them homosexualists.

On a side note, I can’t tell you how happy my life has been since I’ve decided to start taking moral advice from an institution who has an official policy of protecting pedophiles