William Wilberforce Award

I was honored to receive the 2013 William Wilberforce Award last Saturday. I would like to share  a copy of my speech with you.

Here is an excerpt:

We New Yorkers are tough negotiators, as you know, so, listen carefully to these conditions:  Ready?

Condition #1:  that receiving this award be an occasion, like every event in life should be, for me to praise God, from whom all blessings flow, and His Son, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, whose Resurrection we radiantly confess this paschaltide.  “Not to us, Lord, not to us, but to your name be the glory!”

So far so good with the conditions . . . ?

Condition #2:  that this be awarded not to one Timothy Dolan, but to the Catholic bishops of the United States.  The gracious people who choose the recipient of this award have already noted that, through this thoughtful event, they wish to affirm  “advocacy for life, marriage, the rights of conscience, and religious freedom.”  Those principles, of course, are hardly mine alone, but have been a constant platform of my brother bishops.  So, I’ll accept this honor, condition #2, if I can do so on behalf of all the bishops in the United States.

Condition #3  . . . I told you I drive a hard bargain . . . is that I can use this occasion to extol the extraordinarily warm friendship and effective alliance that now characterizes the Catholic Church and Evangelicals in this beloved country we hail as our earthly home.

Click here to read my whole speech.

8 Responses to “William Wilberforce Award”

1. Bob Pegritz says:

People, you will deprive yourselves if you do not elect to hear Cardinal Dolan’s entire speech. He will probably give me a sound corrective lecture for what I’m about to say, but after following this great man’s actions and words for the past several years, I am now convinced that we are reading the words of a Saint. And the only thing that I may be under the influence of is the Holy Spirit. Mea culpa.

2. Thanks be to God for this speech! It is precise, persuasive, and prophetic. May the Holy Spirit always grace you and us to be witnesses!

3. I was most inspired by your speech. Would like to confess my life mess and Holy Spirit remake with the help of Apostles Saints and Priests and Nuns! Amen Peace Hare Bol Atman Namyo

Your Friend in Jesus,
    Kathleen Marie Ramona Sweeney (Cactus Kate)

4. Karen Kurtek says:

Congratulations and thanks be to God for such a humble servant as you. We are so blessed to have you. May God bless you and Mary keep you.

5. Vince Lasewicz says:

Absolutely outstanding speech! The Church has been blessed by such a wonder leader as you Cardinal Dolan. We must continue to fight the good fight in favor of traditional marriage and against contraception and abortion! God bless you!

6. Maria says:

So beautiful and so encouraging! God Bless Cardinal Dolan for boldly speaking the truth and Blessed be God Forever!

7. DottyDay says:

Congratulations on this important award, Cardinal Dolan. I hope you will be blessed with all the graces of its namesake.

And on the subject of awards….

May I ask why you gave the Elizabeth Seton Award to Anna Marie Chavez, CEO of the Girl Scouts. Did no one tell you that the Girl Scouts are discretely partnering with Planned Parenthood regarding abortion, birth control, and Lord knows what. Girl Scouts are one more traditional organization that has wobbled under the pressure of modernism and the godless culture. Did no one tell you?

8. Irene says:

Those rumors about the Girls Scouts (generated by Glenn Beck’s Blaze and some ultra-right traditionalists) have been repeatedly denied and repudiated by the Girl Scouts. The Scouts have a strong partnership with the National Federation of Catholic Youth Ministries (and not PP).

My own daughter is now working on the Marian Medal, the religious award for Catholic Girl Scouts; hopefully she’ll complete it in time for next year’s Scout Mass at the Cathedral.

It’s so wonderful that Ms Chaves received the Elizabeth Seton Award; her work is very much in the footsteps on Mother Seton and the Sisters of Charity; teaching girls to become “women of courage, confidence and character”.