World Series Wager

I thought you might enjoy reading this press release that was posted on our website today.

LineFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 28, 2009

WORLD SERIES WAGER

Cardinal Justin Rigali, Archbishop of Philadelphia, and Archbishop Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York, have placed a friendly wager on the outcome of the 2009 World Series.

These two long-time friends spoke on Tuesday evening to settle the terms of the bet.  If the Phillies win, Archbishop Dolan will ship a dozen bagels to the City of Brotherly Love; if the Yankees prevail, Cardinal Rigali will send a box of Tastykakes to the Big Apple.

Archbishop Dolan said, “Cardinal Rigali is one of my closest and dearest friends; for several years he even served as my Archbishop so I feel a particular loyalty to him.  I know he has exquisite taste in most matters. I just wish he had better taste in baseball teams.”

Cardinal Rigali said, “I have great esteem for Archbishop Dolan.  He is a gifted spiritual leader who has been a true friend for many years.  That is why I am so sorry he will be disappointed when the Phillies successfully defend their World Championship.  We have the cream cheese ready for the bagels that I know will be arriving shortly after the Repeat in the City of Brotherly and Sisterly love.”

-30-

To read more media releases, click here.

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “World Series Wager”

1. Irene says:

Well, this blog is now officially in the big leagues; it was mentioned in the October 26 posting on Whispers In The Loggia, the mother-of-all-Catholic-blogs. Congratulations!

2. Dim Bulb says:

I hope that Cardinal Rigali enjoys his bagels;)

3. Fr. Tim Moyle says:

Your Grace, Welcome to this new field of evangelization. I eagerly look forward to your contributions on the major issues of the day. There are precious few authoritative voices in this medium. Your presence is most welcome, even if your choice of baseball teams leaves something to be desired. Fr. Tim Moyle Mattawa, Ontario

4. Bob Jordan says:

God Bless and Thank You Archbishop Dolan, I Thank You for your Ministry and applaud your excellent article regarding the anti-Catholicism in the New York Times. Well Said, Go Yankees. Look forward to Advent Mass at St Pat’s!!!

5. Louis says:

Archbishop Dolan, be sure to take several pictures of yourself enjoying those Tastykakes. Perhaps some of you laughing joyously, or poniting to a Phillies hat and smiling at how quaint the national league is. Just a suggestion.

6. Fr. Bob says:

Dear Bishop, after my seminary formation at Mt. St. Mary’s Seminary i came to the conclusion that in good taste and preferential option for the poor, there are only two teams to cheer for: the Red Sox and whoever plays the Yankees! Go Phillies! As of this writing, i fear we will be losing!