Now it appears that our pro-abortion Governor will be bundling the so-called “Reproductive Health Act” with a number of other “women’s initiatives”, to create an omnibus bill that offers something to everyone. Of course, most of the bill is mere window-dressing for his plan to remove all limits on abortion, and reinforce New York’s lamentable status as the state with the most expansive abortion laws.
The New York State Catholic Conference has put out the Top Ten Reasons to oppose this radical bill. here they are:
10. It moves New York State in the opposite direction of “safe, legal and rare.”
9. It would undermine beneficial maternity and prenatal care programs, which could be deemed “discriminatory” for favoring childbirth over abortion.
8. It could be used to compel Catholic Charities and Catholic schools to counsel and refer for abortion.
7. It could be used to compel all hospitals, even Catholic hospitals, to allow abortions on premises.
6. It makes abortion immune to prudent regulations supported by large majorities of the public: parental notification for minors’ abortions, restrictions on taxpayer funding, informed consent or a waiting period for pregnant women.
5. By inserting a broad “health” exception into our law, it opens up third-trimester abortions for any reason at all, leading to more late-term abortions of viable, fully formed infants.
4. By repealing the requirement in current law that only a licensed physician may perform an abortion, it endangers women’s lives.
3. By tying the abortion expansion plan to helping victims of domestic violence and ending pregnancy discrimination in the workplace, these important objectives are held hostage to an illogical and ideological agenda.
2. It will not foster women’s health or dignity or promote women’s equality.
1. It defies common sense because New York is already the abortion capital of the nation, with 33% of pregnancies ending in abortion, over 40% in New York City.
All the state-wide pro-life groups have joined in a new coalition to defeat the bill. We’ve taken the name “New Yorkers for Life”, and have started up a Facebook page and Twitter account. We would like to use these as rally points for pro-lifers, to express their opposition to the bill and to get more information. Please spread the word to everyone you know, encourage people to “Like” the page on Facebook, and share it with their friends and contacts, and to “Follow” it on Twitter.
The New York State Catholic Conference has put up an alert on the bill. Please let others know about this, and urge them to contact their legislators and the Governor.
We already have too many abortions in New York. Enough is enough.